Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What is a pre-production book? - Celebrating 100th Post!



Last two weeks have been busy and now I finally sit down and write about what I love the most: producing.
On Monday 12, I had one of the most incredible projects I have had as a producer. I was able to work with around 25 professionals in the same room at the same time. And for that, I had to work a lot. Starting from the little time I had to pre-produce and prepare for casting and scouting I thought I managed very well.
In this journey, I was asked to do a pre-production book.
I have heard the term but thought of it as a completely different thing. I thought a pre-production book was that book that the producer had with the call sheet, important contact numbers, information on location and maybe a schedule. However, I learned that I was wrong. A pre-production book is to be delivered before production to the final client and to the agency and it must include lots of stuff; a lot more than I imagined.

Table of Contents:
Personnel - Client, Agency, Photographer and Production information.
Creative - Is there a reference you should base your work in?
Talent - Names and characters that they are playing.
Wardrobe- What are they wearing? Do you have pictures?
Location - Map and what location offers.
Map - As the one you'll see below.
Weather - As the one you'll see below.
Menu - This is something we added, and personally I think it was an incredible thing to add. If you need catering, Central Market, this was a tip from a friend of mine. Incredible catering!
Vendors - Address, and contact information of Photography Equipment, Catering, any other vendor you may have.
Hotlist - What to do in Austin? What are the good places to dine and shop?


Even weather must be included. You need to tell your clients what to expect from the weather at the city you are shooting. In this case, and specially if you are expecting a women, what to wear!


And of course, a map of the location doesn't hurt. Even if you are working with locals, having a map and a sense of where you can park always makes it easier.

I may say that this pre-production book not only makes you look good but also more professional bringing your work to a whole other level.


Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dany! It's Ashlyn, from amarillo. I just wanted to tell you since you guys left I have been folowing your blog. I LOVE IT! You are amazing! Deigo is very lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashlyn! I hope you are doing well! Taking lots of pictures! :D Thanks for your kind words! I had the most amazing time in Amarillo! Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again.

    ReplyDelete